(Kevin, a college sophomore, gave this remarks before the school staff during a surprise reception for his dad as the campus teacher of the year in 2008.)
“A man should first direct himself in the way he should go. Only then should he instruct others.” - Buddha
I may be a bit biased, but I believe there is no more deserving of such recognition as Mr. Rivera. Speaking as lifelong students of his, my brothers and I believe he is very qualified. I would first like to congratulate my dad. We’re very proud of you.
A quote from Buddha says that “A man should first direct himself in the way he should go. Only then should he instruct others.” I think this applies perfectly to my dad. I reflect on his life and his journey through what he has shared with us over the years and it makes me the more certain of his ability and competence as a teacher. Out of nothing, he has built life with such profound resilience and dedication that, at my best, I could only hope to attain. When he tells stories of his childhood in the Philippines it’s difficult sometimes to comprehend the hardships he had to experience. After all, he has made an adamant effort to make a life for his sons so that we don’t have to go through them.
I apologize if this becomes too personal, but I feel like it has to be for me to express how much having my father there affects my life. Sometimes with my faults and shortcomings, it’s easy for me to feel like this apple has fallen off a tree, rolled down the hill, and then carried off by the river. But my dad never lets me feel that way. Sometimes all a teacher has to do is to make his students believe in their own potential. Incredible things will happen.#

No comments:
Post a Comment