
It was my third year at the school district I am employed with. After two long years of adjustment to teaching culturally-diverse children in a U.S. school, I was slowly getting used to the challenges I faced, coming from a totally different culture and geographical origin, most especially the classroom management issues. In simple words, student discipline.
I had a class full of varied personalities and wide-ranged abilities --- Matthew, the knows-it-all academic achiever who knew more about computers than I did; Anthony, who was constantly upset at everybody and at every situation; Jennifer, the smart girl who would ask, "Where do I sit, Sir?" in perfect British accent; Naomi, whose mother was Vietnamese, was very lady-like in her manners and mode of dress; Jeremy, who always looked sharp and wanted to be a rapper; Marina, who had a ready suggestion to how we could make our classroom the best place to be; john, who covered his ears every time I burst into instructions in a tune, among twenty-two students in my class.
And then there was Cody (not his real name). He wore those wide-rimmed glasses and the widest grin. (There were six other students who wore glasses in the class. I wore a pair, so there were eight of us in all.) Cody was mischievous and was all over the classroom. It was not clear to me if he had ADD or ADHD, for I do not recall if he took medication or not. Other than being hyperactive, Cody was a very well-mannered, respectful boy who was not showing his level best, mainly because of his classroom behavior.
Whenever necessary, when the class had seatwork to do, I would take Cody out of the classroom, right by the door so I could watch the class from the glass window of the door. I would talk to him and would ask him if he wanted to talk to me about anything that was bothering him. He would open up and share information about the situation he was in at the moment. His father was incarcerated, and I could sense his excitement whenever he was scheduled to visit him. At times, he would burst into frustration with the thought of not having his own father to watch his soccer games. I was invited to one of his games. I don't recall if I did go, but I know now, that I should have gone.
I have had several groups of 5th graders pass through my class since I had Cody. Out of that particular batch of 5th graders, one graduated valedictorian of his class in a local high school, a few working at the movie theater box office, and others married with children. But I heard nothing about Cody. Until lately.
Scanning through the district website one night, I came across an ad from a lady whose family name rang a bell. She mentioned about her son coming home for a brief vacation from the navy. Out of curiosity, I emailed the lady and asked if her son was named Cody. She replied and proved my guts right --- it was Cody indeed.
"Your class was about the only positive experience he had in the district, " she wrote. She attached Cody's photo in navy uniform. I felt so proud of my former student!
I asked about how Cody had been. I got the following email back.
I learned that Cody had a very rough time and was headed down the wrong path, so he was sent to the Texas Baptist Children's Home. He spent four years there, and graduated from a Round Rock high school in 2004. TBCH did wonders for him and completely turned his life around. He joined the navy a year ago. His mother hopes that he would make a career in the navy.
Cody is doing great in the navy. His assignment is Aviation Electrician... He is really grown up, and has become a man...He got a lot out of your class. I remember you giving him a lot of one-on-one help which he really needed at that time. I will tell him you asked about him, and how proud you are of him. He will be happy to hear from you. We will all still be working when he comes to town. He'll probably want to come over for a visit. I bet he would come over in uniform. It would be a treat for the kids, I bet.
I eagerly look forward to meeting Cody after 10 years. I am so proud of having been a part of his early education. The kind words from his mother bring warmth to my heart. Teachers don't get the gratitude that they deserve a lot. I got my dose. I have actually made a difference in a child's life!
This is the reward of teaching that is priceless.
No comments:
Post a Comment