Sunday, November 6, 2011

GLORY MARCOS RIVERA: AWARD ACCEPTANCE SPEECH

One of the greatest contributions which the United States has made to the progress of the Philippines has been in the sphere of education. In 1901, a band of American teachers, now referred to as the Thomasites, named after US Army Transport Thomas which took them there, set out to perform an arduous task - to establish a widespread public school system which was to have far-reaching effects on the Filipino way of life.

     In 1999, almost a century later, 98 years, to be exact, I joined the growing number of Filipino teachers sprinkled all over Texas and the United States charged with educating American children.  It is indeed a great honor to be a part of this profession. The Education Service Center Region 12 prepared me to fulfill the requirements necessary to teach in the state of Texas. Furthermore, the Teacher Preparation and Certification Program  provided me with skills to meet the challenges of teaching in a different cultural setting. Waco ISD, particularly, Doris Miller Elementary School, gave
me the much-needed opportunity to teach.  For these, I am extremely grateful.

     I accept this award in the name of my 2nd grade students of last year and this year, for having been a huge part of this enriching experience.  I vow to continue to do the best I can to help the children in my school, become successful in learning.  This recognition would not have been possible without the divine intervention of our God, who makes all things possible.  My deep sense of gratitude goes to the Waco ISD administration and ESC Region 12,  for guiding me through the stages of this competition; my past and present school administrators, for believing in me; my fellow teachers and staff members, for having been supportive; my relatives in the Philippines and friends her, who make me stronger to face every single day; and my husband and three sons, for constantly being there to keep my spirits up when things are not going well, and to rejoice with my successes, and for their understanding of the extra time and effort I have to spend every night to prepare for my teaching.

     Finally, I would like to dedicate this award to my father in the Philippines, and to the memory of my late mother who passed away the day it was announced that I won this recognition. I know that wherever she may be now,  she is looking down on me with great pride and honor.

     Thank you all very much.#

(Text of Glory (Daisy) Rivera's speech as she accepted the ESC Region 12 Teacher of the Year award for 2006. )

Click on link for the press release.  www.esc12.net/awards/html/04_05/2006totyel.html

No comments: