Wednesday, November 9, 2011

v. A SURPRISE VISIT

The first month in Iowa was a period of adjustment. It was not easy for me. This was the first time I was separated from my wife and son for an extended period. I did miss Daisy and Chester so much, that if only I had my way, I would not have second thoughts of returning home. I spent sleepless nights.  In the middle of the night, when the thoughts overwhelmed me with so much intensity, I would sob silently in my room.

There was no doubt Daisy felt the same way I did.  Before I finally got accepted to the University of Iowa,  we did not talk much about what life would be like without each other. I am not sure if we avoided talking about it, but we both knew that we had to make a great sacrifice.  We understood that it meant that we would live separately from each other for some time. But this was a rare opportunity that we would not let go of. The prospect of career advancement and a brighter future for the family gave us hope. It was a blessing from God.

Daisy, Chester Alan and I spent the week before my departure going to places in Manila we had never been to before.  I wanted to spend the few days happily with them. It seemed like we were enjoying our time together, that neither of us wondered how life would be when I was gone.

At the Manila International Airport on the day I was leaving, I tried very hard to hold back my emotions. My sister-in-law, my brother, and other relatives were there to see me off.  I succeeded in holding back the tears until the very moment I kissed my wife and son goodbye.  At almost four years old, Chester did not quite understand what was going on. He was waving a small Filipino flag.

Since the day I left until I started my graduate studies, my mind was constantly preoccupied with thoughts of my dear family. I was feeling so alone and lonely.

I had just attended my 6:30-8:30 class that Tuesday evening .  Dr. Loomer, my professor, handed me a note saying that a Fr. Tom Fisk called from Minnesota with a message that I should give him a call. A phone number was provided. I went home casually.  When I opened the door, I could not believe what I saw.  It was no less than Fr. Tom. We hugged each other tight like two long-lost buddies. What a pleasant surprise!

"You wrote that you wanted me to come see you, so here I am, " the Jesuit priest said.  He drove down from Minnesota just to give me a sort of a US welcome.  He had just spent a week-long vacation with his parents in his hometown of Mankato.  He brought some winter clothing for me.

We sang songs that evening. He had his guitar, bought in Philippines,  with him. When we were alone in my room, Fr. Tom comforted me in my sadness with the assurance that I would soon get used to living far from my family. He said a prayer for me and my family. For the first time since I arrived in Iowa City, I had a restful sleep.

The following morning, Fr. Tom handed me a card addressed to the three of us with a message, "After you're all settled and your things are put away, Hope your new home brings you more joy with everyday." Enclosed was $40 bill which I spent in grocery items at the eagle Food Store in Corralville. Fr. Tom washed his car at a gas station car wash, then drove me around Iowa City.  We had lunch at North Governor before he started his long and weary drive to Porcupine, South Dakota, where he was assigned at an Indian Reservation.

 Rev. Fr. Thomas Fisk, S.J.  

I met this Jesuit when he came as a missionary to San Guillermo, Isabela where my wife and I were working as public school teachers. The San Isidro Labrador Catholic Church did not have a parish priest. Every year, a priest was temporarily assigned to the parish for the Christmas season.  Fr. Tom arrived a day before the first traditional "Misa de Gallo" in December, 1984.  He needed someone to assist him in learning the correct pronunciation and inflection of words in the Filipino misalette. I volunteered to help him.  After our learning sessions,  we would sing folk songs as well as church hymns both in English and Filipino with him playing his guitar.

On the San Guillermo Central School's Christmas Children's Festival, Fr. Tom Fisk was the guest speaker. Since I had become close to him to a certain extent, I was asked to introduce him, which I did.  As soon as classes were off in December, my family went home to Macalauat, our village, for the holidays. The Jesuit came to the village to say mass on two Sundays. He dropped by the house to visit us. He wanted to reach as many villages as he could before his temporary assignment expired.

Fr. Tom went back to the Sacred Heart Novitiate in Quezon City after the Christmas season. We kept in touch. On my wife's and my birthday, he always sent his greetings and would say a special mass for us.  On the Lent of 1985, he came to say goodbye. He returned to the US. I wrote him about the fellowship I was awarded. I wanted him to come and see me and share me with his winter clothing. And so he did.

No comments: